Emissions instruments fall into two categories:
- Offsets, generated by emissions reduction projects from sectors not covered by the carbon regulations (forestry, agriculture, waste management).
- Emissions allowances resulting from emissions reductions projects of hydrocarbon consumers either covered directly by the carbon market (so called “major emitters”) or indirectly (in this case “minor emitters” or potential members of Coop Carbone).
Alternative instruments represent the main opportunity for fuel distributors for cost reduction in the carbon market, but they require very specialized and on-the-ground knowledge
Coop Carbone provides unparalleled access to alternative credit options:
- Integration into the commercial and industrial sectors in Quebec, particularly in the agricultural and forestry sectors (La Coop fédérée, UPA, Nutrinor, FQCF, etc.) as well as through your membership
- Long-term international experience in the compensatory credit sector, specifically in project management, contractual aspects and risk management
- Partnerships with financial institutions keen to finance this type of project
Coop Carbone is currently working with partners to develop protocols for offsets in the agricultural sector (in particular in enteric fermentation and soil work) and forestry (notably in combating destructive insects).